Thursday, October 15, 2009

Divorce: Getting "Sluggo" to Pay for College

One question which we, (as Augusta, Georgia divorce lawyers), often get asked is: "Can I get the judge to make my spouse, "Sluggo," pay for the kids' college expenses?
The simple, unfortunate answer we generally must give is, "No." In other words, in Georgia, after the children turn eighteen, the non-custodial spouse is generally off the hook for court-ordered child support. But there still may be hope!
In other words, even though a judge may not order "Sluggo" to pay for the kids' college expenses, it is important for you to remember that this is a matter which you can raise with your divorce attorney and, with your divorce attorney's help, it can be negotiated and potentially included as part of a settlement agreement. So, don't give up on the idea. Instead, please just raise and discuss the idea with your divorce lawyer.
And please also don't forget that you should also discuss with your divorce attorney the idea of negotiating for spousal support, too, so that you, too, can afford to join your child at the University of Georgia!


  1. I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


  2. Thank you for your visit and kind comment! Please come again!