Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Divorce and Name Changes

Here's some happy news for those of you considering a divorce! Do you like freebies? Well, here's one for you to consider! Did you know that, when you get a divorce in Georgia, your divorce attorney can ask the judge, in the divorce pleadings, to restore either your maiden name, or another prior name, at no additional cost to you? Isn't that great?! This divorce "freebie" is in addition to the free "extra divorce" you are getting from your mother-in-law!

Of course, if you have children, you may decide not to go back to your maiden name. In other words, you may choose to keep the same last name as your kids. Also, you may not want the hassle of having to go to Social Security or the Department of Motor Vehicles to change your last name. But the point is: it is up to you to decide this!

So, after your divorce is final, you will no longer have to see your mother-in-law and you no longer have to be called "Mrs. Sluggo!" Life doesn't get much better than this, does it?!


  1. That's interesting. I wonder how this works in WI.

  2. Very humorous post! Made me giggle! :)